Clara Barton

Carole Starre-Kmiecik, who portrays many women of history, will bring her one-woman show, portraying Clara Barton, founder of the US Red Cross, to the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial Auditorium on Saturday March 18, 2017 at 2PM. Admission to this family event is free. This event is the first in the series of centennial events we have planned for this year.

Niles Daily News April 18, 1917

“M’Kinley Memorial Plans Started,” Niles Daily News, April 18, 1917. Retrieved 4.1.2015 from
First definite arrangements for the dedication ceremony were made at a meeting held April 17, 1917. June 5 was selected as the date of the dedication. Former President William Howard Taft and Dr. C.E. Manchester, who was McKinley’s pastor and funeral orator, were to speak at the dedication. The Grand Army of the Republic was in full charge of the dedication.

Ohio Local History Alliance Region 4 meeting

This past Saturday, April 8, 2017, the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial Museum hosted the Ohio Local History Alliance Region 4 meeting. It was very informative and enjoyable. Here are some photos.


A delicious breakfast, catered by Panera Bread and Catering.


Numerous discussions occurred.


Our former intern, Christian Gatta, manned the registration table.


Getting ready for our speakers.


Learning and discussing.


Listening and learning.


Melissa Karman, Ohio Local History Alliance Region 4 Representative and Director of the Sutliff Museum, conducts the business portion of the meeting.


Box lunches by Ciminero’s Catering provided a tasty intermission.


Amy Rohmiller, Coordinator of Local History Services for the Ohio History Connection gives the Local History Services Report.


Trumbull County Commissioner Frank Fuda along with Jordy Powell, Aide to Senator Joe Schiavoni,  and Leann Rich, (panel moderator) Ohio Local History Trustee at Large and Manager of Education and External Relations for the Mahoning Valley Historical Society discuss bridging the gap between history and government.

Mark Twain by Two


Another in our series of Centennial Events!

Date: Saturday May, 6, 2017

Place: National McKinley Birthplace Memorial Auditorium 40 North Main Street Niles, OH

Mark Dawidziak has been performing as Mark Twain for many years. Mr. Dawidziak’s wife, Sara Showman, will also perform readings from Mr. Twain’s writings. Mr. Dawidziak has written five books about Mark Twain, including three he will have available to purchase and sign: “Mark Twain in Ohio,” “Mark Twain for Cat Lovers: True and Imaginary Adventures with Feline Friends,” and “Mark Twain’s Guide to Diet, Exercise, Beauty, Fashion, Investment, Romance, Health and Happiness.”This event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. Advance Reservations are requested and may be made by calling 330 652 4273.